Author Topic: what iron shafts do you play?  (Read 3488 times)

serial_ball_killer

what iron shafts do you play?
« on: December 29, 2003, 05:22:05 PM »
I am thinking about changing my iron shafts and was wondering what shafts everyone is using.

I currently play the Rifle 7.0's but feel that I am hitting the ball too high. On top of that, I seem to be hitting my irons shorter since switching to the Rifles, even though my swingspeed has been increasing.

salty

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 09:39:16 AM »
I don't know alot about Rifle shafts but in think thats a pretty stiff shaft to have in your irons. I have True Temper Dynamic Gold  regular flex in my clubs and they work fine. Salty

STICK

Re: what iron shafts do you play?
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 12:27:54 PM »
A Rifle 7.0 shaft is extremely stiff , it should only be used by players with a high swing speed , like a Nick Price . 6.0 is more the norm . Remember that you are not swinging a Driver-but an iron . Also you could be loosing distance because the shaft is too stiff for you and there is no lag or kick if you will . Hitting it to high is a swing problem not the shaft , The 7.0 would have a high kick point , so in theory you should have a lower ball flight . Hope this helps my friend : Stick

serial_ball_killer

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 01:53:04 PM »
I was professionally fitted for the Rifles and at the time my 5-iron speed was around 116 MP/H according to the club fitters system. About a year after that, the same club was clocked faster on a Bengco Swing Analyzer. While I trust the club makers judgement - he has a very good reputation - I was just wondering what other alternatives people use.

TimS

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 03:36:29 PM »
I just got rid of the high ball problem.  I hit about 5 buckets of balls just hitting punch shots with 7 irons on down to a sand wedge.  Then I shortened my swing and took a little bit off of it.  I think that's the best way to take down your ball flight.  The rifle 7.0's you're hitting are going to give you among the lowest ball flight of iron shafts that I know of.  You also may want to add some lead tape to raise the swingweight of your irons.  That will help you smooth out your swing.  I hope this helps.
BTW I hit S400's.

eguller

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 09:23:03 AM »
Serial - why not just buy an inexpensive 5 iron head and experiment
with shafts.  TT DG x100 or x300 may work for you, but it can be fun
trying different shaft and not to expensive...hope that helps.

Offline Rock

• phpBB Frequent Poster
7.5 Riffles
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 12:44:14 PM »
I played the 7.5 riffle for years then I hurt my back about two years ago and switched to a regular true temper shaft.  I hit the regular more accurate then I did the 7.5 because I'm making a better swing and I'm more under control and balanced.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 03:55:51 PM »
I'm hitting callaway Big Bertha Irons.....I like them alot! THere pretty easy to hit cause the face is to big!

*~kat~* 8)

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 03:57:07 PM »
Well let me resay that! Not that its big just that its heavey!

*~Kat~* 8)
[/b]