Author Topic: RIP Incepta!  (Read 1116 times)

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
RIP Incepta!
« on: June 10, 2019, 01:57:55 AM »
No posts since May 23rd and we've had the televised 2019 Atlantic City Boardwalk Bash since then.

This site really is dead  :P
I'm an Aaaannniiiimmmaaaallll!

Offline SCUDMAN

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Re: RIP Incepta!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 10:52:17 AM »
Was thinking the same thing. I have been out of LD for 11 years, but still follow it, seems like most people don't care anymore.

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 05:41:52 PM »
True measure of whether a site is going to die is when the thread about RIP becomes the biggest thread for the year.

Like this one will

Offline Bama.drew

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:07:45 PM »
It used to feel like everyone started on an equal playing field
And truly was global in nature
Half of becoming great is in the process of cutting your teeth in competition
Really no way to do that now unless your already in to points monopoly

I think now would be a great time to bring back
Metter , the Dixie classic or any of the other events that where held in the past
Seems like guys would chomp at the bit to lay down 500$ to see where they stood
Irrelevant to a ranking or points system

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 02:21:27 AM »
Going to Pebble Beach tomorrow, it's time to follow Jamie Sadlowski and get into real golf  ;)

cfoot03 you gave every other World Champion a hard time for not doing enough to grow the sport, is it really growing under your reign  ???

Offline rbrbuilt

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 11:32:11 AM »
What a shame that the only real grass root long drive forum is fading into obscurity. Incepta and In the Grid before them have been our eyes and ears and allowed our voice to be heard regarding all things long drive. It isn't the fault of the forum or those that post. Long drive has simply stopped being a grass root competition for the vast majority of old competitors. It attracts minimal new and exciting competitors. Incepta has become less informative and more confrontational and a vehicle for bickering. That is a shame and it bodes poorly for long drive in general and for Incepta specifically.

Mike Roach and Obie Anderson before him have been as important to long drives growth as have the competitors and the LDA. Remax was incredibly instrumental in long drives growth by their longstanding support and partnership. We all became comfortable with the long drive under the LDA even while we weren't always in lock step with them. Art and Steve Wiley deserve our sincere thanks for their hard work and vision. The economic collapse of 2008 spelled the beginning of the end for this version of long drive.

The Golf Channels version must be sustaining itself with their economic model and version of a "world"long drive competition. That is their right and it is working apparently for them. Limiting the expense of a true grass root competition helps keep down the cost overall. This is unfortunate and, I believe, it does not bode well for the growth of long drive. Maintaining a constant source of new and exciting competitors to challenge the established upper echelon of long drivers brought excitement and diversity. Today when I see long drive tour listings for the golf channel unless you read the bio you can turn it on and see virtually the same names in the final 8 in each episode. Are they that much better than the other 50 or 60 that compete?

There is nothing wrong with the televised version and format of the long drive tour. It isn't much different from the LDA's version. I continue to watch for one reason and that is to see western Pennsylvania's Justin Moose. He is a first class individual, great competitor, lacks a huge ego, is an accomplished golfer first and then long driver second and is one of the brightest and most engaging performers the Golf Channel has to offer. I hope they utilize Justin fully because he will draw in the fans and help to grow the competition as well as growing credibility with those new fans. My opinion is jaded as he first made his presence know as an 19 year old at my Pittsburgh North local competition. On borrowed clubs he broke Tom Roskos grid record of 411 yard with a consistent number of quality 400 yards in the grid setting the new mark of 418 yards. He opened a lot of eyes that day and everything he has gained from long drive is deserved.

This current and future form of long drive competition will be sustainable as long as the big recognizable names continue to perform well. The grass roots mass of new and long competing long driver is gone. It is a shame. New faces and the recognizable reliable older ones are what made me host 100+ qualifiers and regionals over the years. Those days are gone and long drive moves on. Attracting new quality competitors will be stifled unless many more opportunities to qualify are made available. Currently by comparison the opportunities pale. Long drivers aren't made in a day. It was always a joy to have a competitor compete in our regional 3,4 or 5 times before finally having the savvy and experience to punch their ticket to Mesquite. My son experienced long drive in 2014 competing well as one of the youngest ever to reach the finals as a 17 year old. He is 23 now and I guarantee he could stand toe to toe with the best today but as a young man with a big amateur tournament schedule and job his opportunities to qualify have been impossible to schedule. I would like to think he would add to long drive in the all around way Justin Moose does. How many other quality young men are out there itching to compete but unable to make the few events available. It's easy to say that's their problem but in reality it is long drives problem.

Growth in long drive is needed. The status quo is unsustainable and will lose it luster and attractiveness. There are a few bright endearing personalities at the top but when their light dims I hope there are some shiny new guys waiting in the wings.

A final thought on the old LDA Hall of Fame. About a year and a half ago I was contacted by two Hall of Fame members regarding the long drive limbo that has become the hall. Having competed in Mesquite a dozen or so times I made some great local friendships and became friendly with a number of the local city officials. I was asked to reach out to them to find their feelings regarding the hall residing there. They were more than receptive and welcomed the idea. I spoke to the mayors office as well as parks and recreation. They were willing to dedicate an area at the old grid a for a Granite memorial to long drive and the hall of fame members. Each year that members were added they would hold a public celebration and would be receptive to holding a long drive competition to commemorate. A permanent venue would bring back the hall of fames credibility. Unfortunately the hall of fame is simply intellectual property. Either the old LDA, Art, or the Golf Channel owns the intellectual property and their intent to continue the hall either exists or not. It is a shame that if they do have a plan it is not shared.

A shout out to all my old friends and those competitors that supported our events.

Rodgers signing out.

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 03:42:06 PM »
Well said Dick and thank you for all you have done for the sport of longdrive over the years  8)

Offline snip

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »
Wow! Excellent post.

I still believe Sam Turner holds his event in Decatur IL for the over 45 crowd.

Here is the link.

http://beauproductions.com/golfswingsws/USSLD/

Sam Turner

Email Sam Turner: samturner@seniorlongdrivers.com
Cell: 217-413 6618

Steve

Offline Simons_Dad

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 07:15:19 PM »
Hope all is well Dick Rogers. It was a pleasure seeing you each year. Look forward to our paths crossing in the future.

Dave Gourno aka Simons_Dad
Dave G
Nine time loser in Mesquite and I was hitting it good then.

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 03:59:43 AM »
Well that was a short and dignified funeral with a nice euology