Author Topic: ROUGH..  (Read 1131 times)

Offline jfk

• phpBB Frequent Poster
ROUGH..
« on: August 31, 2018, 02:06:08 PM »
Ok this OB s**t rears it’s ugly head again, they need a salvage plan quick.... drum roll...

Rough!   (Artificial obviously, 4 inches?)

Yes a couple of yards either side, INSIDE the grid, that will catch balls destined OB, well ok, SOME of them!

The golf channel has no leadership,  FIX It.   jeez.

This is the best solution I can think of for OB balls, which are the biggest threat to LD survival, even 45 shafts will still be swung outside the comfort zone, well outside it. (And the grid)

Better solutions? Let me hear..

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:51:40 PM by jfk »
Gun in my hand’. Bondesque. https://youtu.be/NdW5jIAuqEs
'Never dream of dying'  bond.  https://youtu.be/5y0Q8ZZWTVA

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Re: ROUGH..
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 06:30:46 PM »
In my opinion it’s time to limit amount of golf balls. Keep grid as wide as you want but only have 4 or 5 ball sets. This could bring back some of the hitters that play golf.  This is brutal TV and looks like the only way these guys keep it in grid is when they mi//XXX// it.   If the balls were limited at least we wouldn’t see same guy hit it OB 8x. 

The GC is also making the hitters look bad by keeping them out there that long.

Online Animal

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 06:42:24 PM »
Here's my take for the 2 cents it's worth. Widen grid 5 yds on each side (Looks like they can). Assuming it stays at Winstar. I'm sure 3 min is for tv. I would make it 3:30 for 8 balls. If I was hitting I would rather take my time and hit 6, leave 2 on the tee. Right now after the 2nd ball it looks like everyone is rushing trying to look at the shot clock. 4-5 duck hooks in a row. 6 quality swings seems better than 8 rushed swings. I'm sure people watching would like to see 4 balls go 375 than 1 ball go 381 and 7 more 90 yds right
George "Animal" Slupski

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 07:39:49 PM »
Do all the qualifying on a 30 yard wide grid and then have the finals on a 60 yard wide grid 8)
I'm an Aaaannniiiimmmaaaallll!

Offline DanPacella

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 08:28:42 PM »
I'm watching having not competed in years and never having been anywhere near this level...

The majority of shots going OB reinforces that this doesn't have a lot of connection/applicability to golf; I'm having trouble seeing a purpose of this.  Doesn't even look useful for a 4 man scramble. 

Some of the personalities are off-putting and with this not having much to do with golf I'm not sure what they've got here, who'd be interested in it that doesn't compete or hasn't competed, and why they'd be interested in it. 

My memory may be //XXX//, but I could swear that 5 or more years ago the top guys could pound useful golf shots a lot more consistently.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:30:30 PM by DanPacella »

Online Animal

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 11:34:27 PM »
   I thought tonight was better. Good stuff.
George "Animal" Slupski

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 03:48:20 AM »
The golfer has been eliminated.  Now it’s just swing and pray. Got to be honest Maurice is someone I never thought would be the face of long drive but I wish him well. Some great guys before him...... Hopefully GC tweaks their format as this was terrible TV.  Showing this live is brutal.

Gavin was fantastic but this shouldn’t be an Ironman contest. Too many balls and anyone would have been injured after what he went through.   The GC needs to fix some format flaws. 

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 07:23:22 AM »
The show as it went down was really not that bad.  Good, solid competition.  the all carry grid clearly showed 380-390 yard carries with no appreciable wind.  That should clearly translate with viewers.  Big Mo must have been spinning it a little less as he seemed to be getting 7-10 more yards out of the same speed numbers as other guys.  Also, classy move donating a significant part of his winnings to a good cause.  Everyone who knows Big Mo knew he was going to throw something weird into his acceptance speech and he didn't disappoint there either.  Not sure where rape fits in to an acceptance speech, but he managed to squeeze it in there.  Great performance though, and that eighth ball was literally bisecting the grid.  I wonder if Rick Flair is aware of Maurice Allen, if so I wonder what he thinks.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:47:57 AM by TheDoctor »

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 09:56:30 AM »
Do all the qualifying on a 30 yard wide grid and then have the finals on a 60 yard wide grid 8)

Yup makes a lot of sense if you want the best final product for TV

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 07:33:34 PM »
The golfer has been eliminated.

Yep, all the guys that can swing 10+ mph faster than Bubba Watson and fill up a grid are history now :P

Hell even Jamie Sadlowski is history now proving that this sport has very little to do with golf anymore ::)

We are in the age of "the one hit wonder", I do still find it entertaining though and for me Art is a great commentator 8)

Offline NITROFORCE

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • no substitute for high performance training
    • thenitroswing.com
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 11:45:36 PM »
I like the idea of rough.  I don't golf much ( didn't this year once ) but when you hit the ball into the fairway that is 30-50 yards wide it sometimes goes into the "tall" grass.  It isn't OB and there is no penalty either.  It does trap the ball from going OB a lot of the time too.  Which would be a penalty.  It probably saves strokes if the course is tight with OB markers.  Why not in LD?

In LD if you don't hit the fairway and stay, you get OB and thus no score (penalty).  How many times do you see a ball land in, bounce a couple times, almost come to a stop, and goes out by a couple feet.  It would have been a pretty good distance to record, but it gets an OB.  Nothing worse that crushing one and it dribbles out and the other competitors don't hit well but hit some "pop up", heel or toe shot, make the grid with some miss-hit and post a crappy number that beats you.

Observing golfers from a TV perspective comment frequently, "Those LD guys sure can't put a ball in play" not noticing that to produce the number we generate it takes them a driver and hybrid (2 strokes) to complete what we do in one shot.  Or, they hit a sub 240 drive into the opposing fairway and hit the second shot with no thought of it being OB and taking a stroke.  But we suck, right?

Cut the grass in the middle 30yds at 3/4 inch or less like they do on the tour.  The next 10 yards outside that 30 on either side 1-1/2 inch.  And outside that for 10 yards on each side 4 inches.  Total grid width that is "IN BOUNDS" is 70yds.  The best numbers will obviously be coming from the center and the lower distances from the outer rough.  But at least it isn't a 0.

I think this would solve a large percentage of OB scores and at least post a number.  The guy that pipes the middle is going to get PGA tour roll, which is something we NEVER see, but see on TV every weekend.  The number will be HUGE and impressive like the Mile High Shoot out numbers or better.  Then we can compare apples to apples pertaining to what is seen almost every weekend and what is going on in LD.  It may make what we do seem more legit and impressive at the same time.

I lose my mind when I watch on TV that DJ carries it 315 and it hits the top or back of a hill and rolls 120 yards for some ridiculous 435 drive on that 1/2" cemented fairway grass.  Because I know the next day all my ignorant golf friends will tell me about how DJ hit it as far as me. 

I hit a 401 on monday in a 10+mph side wind that was OB most of the flight.  I never saw it land, but I highly doubt it rolled 120 yards on that grid.  20 yards of roll maybe with 380 carry.  I risked going OB aiming at the 250 marker on the left with an open stance to hit it in.  I hit 5-6 balls harder than that in the other sets, and they looked good going right down the middle moving right during apex and I got OB.  It's frustrating.  If there was 10 yards of rough on the side of that grid, it's possible that they could have produced scores that would have moved me to the second round.  I'm sure i'm not the only one that could have benefitted from having rough to catch the non-perfect balls hit well.

Anyway, great idea.  Might have been thought of before, but it needs to be reconsidered.
Of course I use PEDs (performance enhancing devices).  Why else would the ball go so far?  100% legal, positive results every test, no prescription, USGA legal.  Common side effects; lower handicap, admiration of golf buddies, shorter short-game, gratification of a lost ball. thenitroforce.com

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 02:59:56 AM »
You should have rough starting at 350 to give the public an instant reference and the ball should count, would be much better to watch 370 in the rough when a ball would have been 400 down the middle versus OB 0

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 03:28:26 AM »
If you are going to use golf analogies then the grid is a massive 50 yard wide fairway and if you miss it 7 times you are playing 15 off the tee!

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 04:40:30 AM »
If you are going to use golf analogies then the grid is a massive 50 yard wide fairway and if you miss it 7 times you are playing 15 off the tee!

If you are using golfing analogies, you are throwing your bag in the nearest pond if you are 15 off the tee ;D ;D

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 07:22:38 AM »
the ball has to have every opportunity to go as far as possible whilst in the grid.  Rough is a bad idea.  Ob's a plenty is just part of the sport.

Offline jfk

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 07:28:43 AM »
the ball has to have every opportunity to go as far as possible whilst in the grid.  Rough is a bad idea.  Ob's a plenty is just part of the sport.

Small headed drivers were just part of golf.

Bag in the pond....   don’t forget to throw in a provisional
Gun in my hand’. Bondesque. https://youtu.be/NdW5jIAuqEs
'Never dream of dying'  bond.  https://youtu.be/5y0Q8ZZWTVA

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
Now you are getting a glimpse of why LD is not that popular. The audience is golfers and there are virtually no golfers in LD anymore.  The champion is setup to the ball on his tiptoes. It looks ridiculous on TV.

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2018, 01:49:08 PM »
There are actually some pretty good players at the top these days.  I'm definitely not saying more so than years past, but just as many.  Maurice is definitely going to be requested to play a lot more golf in the upcoming year.......look out for that.

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »
What a dichotomy this sport is, when you watch Big Mo swing you can see exactly why he is the 2018 World Long Drive Champion and at the same time you can see why he couldn't break 100 at a PGA Tour event!

To be fair I'm sure Maurice is a much better golfer than he showed in that event, now he is World Champion I hope he gets another crack at it 8)

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 03:15:24 PM »
He will get plenty of opportunity to play some golf this year Phil.