Author Topic: 2018 US SENIOR LONG DRIVE CHAMPIONSHIP  (Read 1370 times)

Offline tgarber

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • Tom's Website
2018 US SENIOR LONG DRIVE CHAMPIONSHIP
« on: July 03, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »
Hello, girls…

Tom Garber checking in… How many senior and above hitters are going to participate in the US Senior Long Drive Championship in St. Louis at the end of the month? Also would like to know if you have decided not to attend this year and why? We have an ok competitor list that has committed to be there, but Sam hasn’t received many entries for those who have said they are coming. He generally gets inundated with entries between now and the deadline which is a week from this Sunday.

If you are a senior, Super senior, grand champion, legend, or older hitter and want to hit in a great event... with easily the most beautiful trophy in all of long drive, you should sign up!

Would like your feedback! Hope all you guys are great!

Tom Garber
"Nobody Wins Unless Everybody Wins"

Offline DLR388

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Re: 2018 US SENIOR LONG DRIVE CHAMPIONSHIP
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 05:44:33 PM »
Sent my entry in on Monday...like Tom said...this is a great event...a lot of hitting, good/fair grid close to the airport...good payouts...well run event...deadline July 15th. Dan Robinson

Offline MikeB

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 06:11:25 PM »
Ill be there this year. sent the check in Monday
The longest guy in my zipcode.. I think

Offline CaptnCrush

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • espowergolf
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 07:42:53 PM »
I'm going but I haven't sent my check in yet. I have my airline tickets and hotel already paid for.

My problem is I keep forgetting to mail a check, I'm not sure even where my check book is.
I haven't written a check in a long time. I will mail it on Saturday.
Lynn "Capt'n Crush" Ray

Offline DLR388

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »
Deadline is 1 week away...signups are just over 20...hope to see more entries in the coming week...great event!

Offline tgarber

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • Tom's Website
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
Hey, guys… Change on the entry fee. It’s $250 to register for any division. $500 to hit in two divisions. So… Please spread the word to your senior hitter friends? If you guys have sent in a $500 entry fee for one division, you may hit in another division. For those not eligible to hit in more than one division, I do not know if Sam will be reimbursing anyone the $250 difference.  Sam lowered the entry fee  to generate more interest. Moving the event from late September to July may have been the reason for less entries. For those who do not wish to hit in two divisions or are only old enough to hit in the senior division, you will be reimbursed $250.

The deadline to register has been extended a week to July 22. It’s always great to see everyone and I promise you will have a great time! Hope to see everyone there!

Here’s Sam‘s mailing address to send your registration fee in.  Make sure to put which division you’re heading in in the memo field on your check.  $250 check payable to Sam Turner. $250 for each additional division.

Mail to:

Sam Turner
6565 Majors Ln
Decatur, Illinois  62521
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:39:39 PM by tgarber »

Offline Animal

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 11:47:41 AM »
       Some people pay 500? Some people in same division pay250?
George "Animal" Slupski

Offline tgarber

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • Tom's Website
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
George, I originally paid $500. That was the original entry fee this year.  I believe it was $500 last year, as well. But, the entries went down, in my opinion, because it was moved to July. So the entry fee is now $250 for all divisions except the Majestic division, which is $100.

I will now be hitting in 2 divisions, where as I was originally hitting only in the grand champions division. But, since I’ve already paid $500, that’s the same as two divisions so I will hit in the super senior division instead of getting reimbursed $250. Which is nice... because I get to compete two days instead of one.

I’m sure that’s clear as mud now.

Offline tgarber

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • Tom's Website
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 05:41:33 PM »
Hey, guys… Just spoke with Sam. I have edited the first post I made today with all the correct info. Check it out. And sign up for the freaking tournament! It’s always a good time, dudes.

Tom Garber

Offline Simons_Dad

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 07:39:29 PM »
How was the event?
Dave G
Nine time loser in Mesquite and I was hitting it good then.

Offline DLR388

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 10:55:38 PM »
Event was great....Tom Peppard won the seniors, Richard Smith the super seniors, Mike Barbarossa the grand champions, Daniel Fournier the 60+, the 65+, 70+ by a guy whose name I don't know...the guy was like iron Byron......Sam turner and his crew did another fantastic job!! Thanks!

Offline NITROFORCE

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • no substitute for high performance training
    • thenitroswing.com
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 09:31:28 AM »
Since 2008, I would say this is absolutely the most fun event.  Especially this year.  Format change created an environment where you were rewarded with lots of rest and if you lost, you had many chances to get back into it, and hit to do it.  The cost was low($250) to enter so it reduces the pressure and it doesn't become so intense that all the hair splitting and complaining set in.  It's a nice warm up for the 45-50 guys going on to Thackerville in a couple weeks that don't get invited to the VWLDC events in Mesquite and Phoenix.

It's not perfect and neither was the grid.  I made it to the finals and struggled all day with that tee box set up.  Crooked and tilted takes some adjustments when swinging.  I don't golf, so this is the only time I got to drive balls on an uneven surface, so it takes some practice that I am sure experience and playing golf can provide.  Tom and Richard hit it when it counted, and the rest of the guys with years of hitting didn't seem to mind and it really showed.

The new guys, are also a great time to be around.  I remember when I was new to the sport and had no clue (still don't a lot of the time) and they got baptized.  Some newbies even won their classes, just like last year.  They had the guts to come out and see what LD is like, and even though they didn't do well they seemed to have a great time hitting, hanging out, and listening to the stories and getting info to do better next year.  I am sure it feels good to be a rookie when you are over 45.

Sam, great job for you and the crew.  It's a thankless job to put on an event.  For those veterans of LD that made this sport, if you are still following it, you should attend.  It is the chance to hit again and likely relive the glory days and hang out with old friends and make new ones.  It's more like a reunion than a competition.

Looking forward to seeing you all next year and a couple of you in a month.

FC

Of course I use PEDs (performance enhancing devices).  Why else would the ball go so far?  100% legal, positive results every test, no prescription, USGA legal.  Common side effects; lower handicap, admiration of golf buddies, shorter short-game, gratification of a lost ball. thenitroforce.com