Author Topic: Will the sport of Longrive ever change gear?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
Will the sport of Longrive ever change gear?
« on: July 03, 2018, 04:12:57 AM »
Will longdrive ever change gear, MMA used to be completely in the shadows now it is a massive show that I personally prefer v boxing.

Longdrive has sporadically had minor tv coverage since way back, even Art was hitting on the box with a few Tour pros scattered in there too.  The sport peaked almost 15 years ago in terms of participation.

So 1 question

WILL LD ever break out and become mainstream or always be a minor sideshow?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 04:42:28 AM by beasty »

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Re: Will the sport of Longrive ever change gear?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 07:45:32 AM »
I think it would have happened by now if it was going to happen.  I've run or helped run many Locals;Tour Events;Regionals in the past and had a lot of fun doing it.  The sport is brutally hard to watch in person.  After the excitement wears off(first few hitters) it all looks the same for several hours.  The current mentality of "if the grid is fast great, if not, oh well" has got to go.  The grid has to be fast every time.  The grid should be wide enough to take into account the speeds these guys carry into the ball.......40-45 yards is clearly not enough.  Even when you package it up as well as humanly possible there is just something missing and there always has been.  It would help big time to get the longest tour guys to show up and demonstrate the difference between them and long drivers much like Jaime did at the Hyundai Tournament of Champions years back, but that is a tough sale.  Who wants to show up and be humiliated?  Not fun.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:38:42 PM by TheDoctor »

Offline rctiettm44

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »
So as a guy who hasn't been to many qualifiers the last couple of years and only competing in tour events,  I'd say LD is certainly on the rise.  I recently went to Memphis to qualify and I was shocked to see how much participation is up.  The locals were sold out before they started and they could have easily opened up a 3rd day and sold that out too.  It was crazy.  There were lines 30-50 people deep at 6am of people trying to get a chance for one of the 400+ original spots.

Offline NITROFORCE

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • no substitute for high performance training
    • thenitroswing.com
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 12:02:03 PM »
Q- Will LD ever breakout and become mainstream?

A- https://youtu.be/Ln9yywA5Cjs

LD is neither boxing or MMA.  Not enough carnage and bloodlust to be riveting.  The ONLY way LD will grow is if mass participation at the lower grass roots level.  Powerlifting is an example.  Tones of young men and women getting started and tons of elders still doing it.  Many classes for weight and age with different lifts.  NO ONE IS GETTING PAID to do it, but they show up in droves to over a hundred meets every year, in several different affiliations-organizations.  Friends and family are the only ones watching and the participants pretty much sponsor the whole thing.  Ever see it on TV? no.  Why? It's boring to watch...just like LD.

If you are not doing it, you probably don't watch it.  I do it, and I don't even watch it on TV.  No offense, I have seen most of these guys hit in person, and it is impressive to watch while at an event.  ZZZZZZZZville when on TV.

Those in charge of "growing the sport" (https://youtu.be/Ln9yywA5Cjs), should see how they do it in other sports such as racing.  Another sport boring to watch on TV but very exciting to participate in.  And they have TONS of participants of all ages and classes.

LD DOES NOT.  The side show will continue.
Of course I use PEDs (performance enhancing devices).  Why else would the ball go so far?  100% legal, positive results every test, no prescription, USGA legal.  Common side effects; lower handicap, admiration of golf buddies, shorter short-game, gratification of a lost ball. thenitroforce.com

Offline MikeB

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 12:36:30 PM »
I could not agree more.. LD is fun to do, boring to watch- unless you actually compete. There are a number of sports like that - weightlifting is a good example.
The longest guy in my zipcode.. I think

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:10:26 AM »
I think the fact that Jamie Sadlowski no longer competes tells you all you need to know about this "sport".
I'm an Aaaannniiiimmmaaaallll!

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 04:31:25 PM »
Great point Phil......  This sport shouldn’t be an individual sport. Spectators don’t care who the longest hitter is but they do care what the longest club is.  This should be a team sport with club manufacturers on display.  Team Callaway vs Team Taylor Made would draw interest. Now all manufacturers are sponsors and the golfing public knows Team Callaway kicked the crap out of Team Taylor Made or vice versa.  Let the individual component be a subset of the main team attraction. It’s backasswards right now

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
what Allen said +1.

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 07:44:37 AM »
Great point Phil......  This sport shouldn’t be an individual sport. Spectators don’t care who the longest hitter is but they do care what the longest club is.  This should be a team sport with club manufacturers on display.  Team Callaway vs Team Taylor Made would draw interest. Now all manufacturers are sponsors and the golfing public knows Team Callaway kicked the crap out of Team Taylor Made or vice versa.  Let the individual component be a subset of the main team attraction. It’s backasswards right now

That would be cool to watch....

Team Callaway
Team Taylormade
Team SMT

Offline NITROFORCE

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • no substitute for high performance training
    • thenitroswing.com
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 09:16:52 AM »
That would be cool to watch....

Team Callaway
Team Taylormade
Team SMT

I believe Team Callaway won last year with Team Krank coming in second.  Team MOI also took a first in the Masters, but who would know that since it wasn't televised.  What about team Volvik?  They won every event.

So HOW would it be any different if there were teams?  Seems to me there already is a team thing going on.  I don't see any way that it would be more interesting/cool if they did this unless there was a format change.  And if a format change were to occur the viewer will be even more confused as to what is going on and who won.

LD on TV is boring to watch.  It's an entertainment spectacle that has 20 minutes worth of WOW if you are there in person at the event.  On TV it's less, it a perspective problem.  Pictures of the Grand Canyon verses going to the Grand Canyon type of thing.  It is never going to grow on from TV coverage.  The viewer is probably initially hooked on seeing the swings, the ball flight tracker, and the numbers, but after that, time to grab the remote and see something else.  They are not getting anything else from the viewing experience.  What else could they possible get? 

If the viewer is not getting a dopamine hit to release EOP, ZERO pleasure from the experience.  There is no carnage, conflict, or shock value.  No sex, no music, or anything underlying that the viewer could identify as pleasurable either.  Listening to the commentation  from Art is OK, but the other guys/gals is needless dribble that is annoying.  You have 2 other guys in the booth that have probably never hit a ball over 300yards giving technical analysis of things they have never done.  Put Pavlet and Fister in the booth with Art and I'll listen.  At least they have experience to chat about.

Since the perspective can't be captured on TV, no sex, no carnage, no rock and roll, drama is pumped for value.  LD DRAMA? ha.  You have a better shot at comedy than drama. The last any only means you will get golfers to watch is to add technical information about the club, ball, swing, training, or any other scientific aspect that the viewer could take away from watching.  I would bet more people watch one of the LDers on Morning Drive talk about LD and hit balls into a screen than watch the WLDC.  WHY?  Information and/or tips.  Golfers are helplessly addicted, confused, and in an endless cycle of the pursuit of mastery.  They have enough drama, they want info.

And the GC and the WLDC is doing anything but give the golfer a glimpse of what they want to see or hear.  Most of us go to the range and practice, and when there end up chatting with some golfers who see it on TV.  What do they talk about?  They don't know any of the names of the competitors, they vaguely remember the winning yardage, it was some big guy, tall guy, or other that " I think won".  2-3 minutes worth of conversation.  Then they proceed to talk about the LDer they once met at an event, or saw at a golf expo and met as well. 5-10 minutes of conversation which is a story about the interaction.  After that it is questions about the ball, the club, the swing, training, etc., all worth 20 minutes plus.  Golfers are interested, but not on what is on TV.  They watch on LD on TV for 30 minutes and can't remember 30 seconds worth.  They have an interaction personally with an LDer for 2 minutes they talk about it for
10 minutes.  They know NOTHING about the sport, the ball, club, swing, or training, and it ends being 30 minutes of interest.  And they end up watching next time on TV wanting to see/hear more and they don't get it.  Time to turn the channel.

Ok, enough for now, the "Walking Dead" rerun is on and it's Team Zombie verses Team Human this morning.  Don't want to miss that.
Of course I use PEDs (performance enhancing devices).  Why else would the ball go so far?  100% legal, positive results every test, no prescription, USGA legal.  Common side effects; lower handicap, admiration of golf buddies, shorter short-game, gratification of a lost ball. thenitroforce.com

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 04:16:52 PM »
Frank,

We can agree there is not much interest in the sport. If there was a 5x champion would be a household name. Will Hogue would also be on the cover of ESPN Mag for having a dominating season. Most haven’t a clue who they are

It’s time to go a different direction. There has never been a representation of competing teams outside of the Pinnacle Team. I can debate with you that during its time The Pinnacle Team was more well known then the guys who hit for them.

Formats would need to change but based on a team approach many different styles of formats could be tried.  Golfers are more interested to see Team Callaway hitting against Team Red Bull etc... Now companies have a reason to get involved. Right now what is the point for sponsors to put any money in.

Even the team concept in Golf is extremely popular(Ryder Cup)

I’m sure they are chomping at the bit to have Maurice Allen represent them.  The individual side has been played out and failing except on a small scale.

Time to think outside the box
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:52:21 PM by Allen »