Author Topic: Most unfair incident you’ve seen.. or been victim of.  (Read 1155 times)

Offline jfk

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Most unfair incident you’ve seen.. or been victim of.
« on: June 27, 2018, 06:19:59 PM »
Ok in mine It was me that was actually the victim.

Few years ago at the UK golf show, held at a golf and country club in England, 8 of us hit in the senior final into this undulating uphill.. err..  grid for want of a better name, anyway I hit the longest drive out of the 8 of us, then Arts partner in crime in Europe at the time says, “ ok guys just hit again and we’ll call that the final!!!”   Lol, I came second this time and the guy who was third first time won it!!

Bloody hell how unfair,  I came away with a 200 dollar  callaway driver that went straight on eBay

Bummer.
Gun in my hand’. Bondesque. https://youtu.be/NdW5jIAuqEs
'Never dream of dying'  bond.  https://youtu.be/5y0Q8ZZWTVA

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Re: Most unfair incident you’ve seen.. or been victim of.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:37:31 PM »
Signing a farce of a contract to not be paid when event finished.  If you don’t have the money don’t put on events.  Pretty straight forward.

Offline A-ROB

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • www.zellermotors.com
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 01:08:52 AM »
Was alternate one year out of St. Louis my 2nd yr doing ld. They told me to stand by. Come to find out one guy who finished behind me got the call. He made it the year before and did not qualify at any other region. Put a bad taste in my mouth about the head powers that be very early in my ld experiences. I didn’t say anything at the time because didn’t really find out til I saw the yrs worlds list. Since I was a no name running locals? I wasn’t important enough to get the call before someone I had beaten on the same day. He had made it to worlds the year before. So I guess they thought he should go instead of me. Oh well.  My first year I had my clubs built by dicks sporting goods (that was my worst golf club decision ever) before st Louis  regional. Went win win win into finals, first ball my driver head went flying off and had to use an actual ld length club (49.5” LDA)and lost by 10”. Never liked the longer clubs.  Ha. Bad first 2 years.
Aaron Robbins

Offline Part Time

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 11:53:46 AM »
I went to an independent event in 93. There was about 30 hitters, entry fee was 350.00. I came in fourth place. No notification on what the payout was. I asked the organizer that night how much I had won.? He said he didn't know. I asked again,same reply. I told him when he found out to send my check to Metter I was going home an not hitting in the second event.  I received a check a couple of weeks later. I won 700.00. lol.    I always posted the payout in the Metter event before we hit.

Offline AP

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • Andreas Persson
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 04:48:44 PM »
Have to many to mention on here, maybe in a few years when I genuinely don't care anymore 8)

But shi*tiest would probably be in 2013 when we put on Scandinavian LD tour and got about 22 Open and 8 Seniors and bought spots for Worlds. Had a handshake deal that was upped by about 40% when it was time to pay, take it or leave it. Was about to pull the plug but the players wanted it so...fair enough.

A deal was made. Then after a few months the field was set to 192 and anyone could buy a spot for 1000$ to fill the field, at least those outside US and Scandinavia. We probably paid 3-4 times too much. That was a sweet deal :o

So if anyone wonders why there were few opportunities in Europe, well, I and those that ran events then would only get royally screwed once as hosts. As a player you chose to get screwed all the time. As business partners, don't screw your biggest customer by cheapening the product you sold them earlier and expect a returning customer...

If you want other unfair things, just read my post history and a few things will surely surface ::)

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 11:10:11 PM »
First year I ever participated or viewed worlds from the stands was 2005.  Fister won that year and performed very well.  This was when it was a straight shootout for the final six.  Fister hit first when it was still dusky out.  By the time the sixth guy got up there the temp dropped A LOT.  The wind completely shut off and the night fully set in.  There was a hopeless feel to the last few hitters as the conditions made Fister's ball impossible to catch.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:11:52 PM by TheDoctor »

Offline SCUDMAN

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »
Got screwed twice, first time at a Regional final outside Pittsburgh. This was in the Senior division, two of us had the same yardage for winning the regional. I was a no name at the time & the other guy wasn't. After taking a LONG time to measure for the 6 inch rule, it came back that I lost by 7 inches, still don't believe it. Second time was in the World Championship at the Palms, this was the year that the yardages were sent by walkie talkie across the street to a LDA guy in a tent. I just hit in the Super Senior Quarterfinals & knew that I had advanced pretty easily. My sponser (Steve Almo) & I walked across to the tent to see where I would hit next. Turns out that the guy in the tent heard the wrong yardage & put it on the board. Steve & I raised quite a stink but got nowhere with either Art or the LDA, so I was out. Other guys that I knew from long drive also know that should have advanced.

Offline Simons_Dad

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 07:36:19 PM »
Not really unfair but sure was strange. This was at a regional final and we were down to the final two with one spot available to the worlds. It was best of six in those days and I believe we alternated shots or maybe we were both just hitting away. Anyway after we had both hit 3 balls a grid worker came running up and said I had qualified for the final two but I was hitting against the wrong guy. After some talk and quite a bit of time went by, the guy I had been hitting against stepped down and the "correct" opponent got on the tee box. We started over with both of us getting six balls to hit.

The weird part, as it was happening, was the "correct" opponent was the event organizer and the grid worker was his son.

I won.
Dave G
Nine time loser in Mesquite and I was hitting it good then.

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2018, 05:27:26 AM »
Not really unfair but sure was strange. This was at a regional final and we were down to the final two with one spot available to the worlds. It was best of six in those days and I believe we alternated shots or maybe we were both just hitting away. Anyway after we had both hit 3 balls a grid worker came running up and said I had qualified for the final two but I was hitting against the wrong guy. After some talk and quite a bit of time went by, the guy I had been hitting against stepped down and the "correct" opponent got on the tee box. We started over with both of us getting six balls to hit.

The weird part, as it was happening, was the "correct" opponent was the event organizer and the grid worker was his son.

I won.

Definition of a professional sport right there... lol

Offline DLR388

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 10:36:00 AM »
I witnessed SCUDMANs misfortune...2006 worlds..he hit 292 in the rain and cold...all carry...I believe it was the 2nd or 3rd longest in quarterfinals...I went to congratulate him after he hit, and he told me he was out. I saw the shot and the scoreboard register his yardage...biggest screw job I ever saw...I can't imagine how he felt (a couple of years before that he was last balled by Fred Hooter in the finals to miss his world title by 2 yards) I know he wanted that world title. He handled it with class....not many could have...I always respected the way Steve DiPietro handled that unfortunate mishap.

Offline SCUDMAN

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 10:01:18 AM »
Thanks Dan, appreciate the back up! Kinda soured me for LD after that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:03:07 AM by SCUDMAN »