Author Topic: New Long Drive Record!  (Read 826 times)

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
New Long Drive Record!
« on: June 06, 2018, 02:17:22 PM »
It’s a crying shame some of the really talented long drivers who can fill up a grid were not there in Atlantic City yesterday.

We’ve argued long and hard on here to keep some element of accuracy and consistency within the sport, however, the pendulum has swung totally in the other direction.

The result …… a new long drive record of 51 OB balls in a row  ::)
I'm an Aaaannniiiimmmaaaallll!

Offline DLR388

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Re: New Long Drive Record!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 09:40:23 PM »
You can hit over 25 consecutive balls OB, then hit 7 consecutive balls OB in the final, and still win a tour event....on a soft grid...WOW! Art likes to brag about Troy Mullins great tour like swing...goes 0 for 8....snap hooks all 8 balls. I love long drive...always have. I respect all the competitors...but it has become painful too watch....I remember the 2006 senior final in Mesquite...Bobby Wilson and Gerry James bantering back and forth while on the tee..filling up the grid at 365-370yds....great TV...even the semis between Joe Hadjuck/Bobby Wilson, Gerry James/Kevin Wolfe was full of talking, and filling up the grid. I like the new format...with 6 balls instead of 8, otherwise I'm not impressed with GC's new venue.

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 01:40:15 AM »
Yes for so many reasons bring back Masters TV coverage, Golf Channel really have nothing to lose!

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 12:13:09 PM »
Yes Dave and on a duck hook the pro tracer line looks particularly bad :P

Fair play to Mark Costello though for winning and proving one of my favorite mantras ... "it only takes one"

Mark wasn't even close to sniffing the grid on his first 7 balls, I was surprised by his last ball and Steenberg must have been astonished!

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
astonished is the word Phil.

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 07:43:25 PM »
It’s false logic to say that wider grids produce less OBs.

80 yard wide grids and 8 balls have produced the age of the “one hit wonders”

The really talented hitters who can control their golf ball and fill up a grid have been driven out of the sport.

Now we are looking at finals competitors who given the task of putting one ball from 8 in the grid over 270 yards, can’t get it done :o

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 12:56:54 PM »
that is a sad state.  I believe 12* max is a rule, or was.  Every LDer should have a 12* club in their bag for just such an occasion.

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 01:30:37 PM »
Shouldn't even matter, at 48" USGA the clubs are nothing like as long as we use to swing back in the day.

Given 8 balls and told all they need to do is get one in the grid, any long drive competitor should be confident of doing this with their competition club.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:10:57 PM by The_Power »