Author Topic: What happened in Atlantic City final?  (Read 943 times)

Offline captainamerica

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • Ryan Hixson
What happened in Atlantic City final?
« on: June 05, 2018, 08:40:25 PM »
I was watching the telecast, and when they measured the final balls, the guys measuring  announced over their walkie-talkies that Costello’s ball was 10’5” past the 340 line, and that Steenberg’s was 12’1. 12’1” - 10’5” = 1’8” difference. Then all of a sudden, they said it was within 6” for a playoff, which Costello won. Anyone that was at the event know what happened?  Watching on TV left some questions to be answered.
Ryan Hixson

Offline DLR388

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Re: What happened in Atlantic City final?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 10:29:42 PM »
 >:(Saw the same thing...on tv it appeared that Steenbergs ball was  almost a yard longer....the red line on tv clearly showed this, as did the line at 344...not sure about what really happened...even the announcers mentioned Sttenbergs ball was more than 6 inches past Costellos...??!?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:33:19 PM by DLR388 »

Online The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 02:49:40 AM »
When they measured Costello's ball the guy by the ball kept his thumb and forefinger on the tape measure mark and then they went to Steenberg's ball.

You could clearly see that Steenberg's ball was shorter.

The guy on the 340 line realized he had announced 10' 5" when he should have announced 12' 5", they went back to double check this. 
I'm an Aaaannniiiimmmaaaallll!

Offline supajsn98

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 09:21:35 AM »
That red line though... great addition but no where near the quality of the first down line for the NFL. At one point it was so crooked there was a two yard difference from one end to the other. C'mon GC...

Jason

Online The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 11:39:32 AM »
Yes Costello's ball looked to land at least a yard beyond the red line so that made the tie call a surprise for viewers.

Offline Animal

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 07:13:42 AM »
The call will stand because it's not a decision anyone cares about. In NBA one thing that's iffy 1 million people talk about it. On here and facebook 13 people
George "Animal" Slupski

Online The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 12:04:33 PM »
Lol Animal ... yes let's keep it real  ;)

Offline NITROFORCE

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • no substitute for high performance training
    • thenitroswing.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 02:19:24 PM »
The call will stand because it's not a decision anyone cares about. In NBA one thing that's iffy 1 million people talk about it. On here and facebook 13 people

It was stated somewhere that 6.4 million viewers were tuning in.  Only 13 noticed it?  Come on George, basketball is easy to call and long drive is complicated.  Viewers just don't understand how it works.  In basketball all you have to do is throw it through the hoop.  If the net moves it is good for points.  In long drive they ACTUALLY measure things, so it can get interesting and alot of gray area on how it is measured.  Maybe they should use Trackman to measure it instead of people with measuring tapes.  You know, eliminate the human error. :o
Of course I use PEDs (performance enhancing devices).  Why else would the ball go so far?  100% legal, positive results every test, no prescription, USGA legal.  Common side effects; lower handicap, admiration of golf buddies, shorter short-game, gratification of a lost ball. thenitroforce.com

Offline Animal

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »
Of those 13 million not 1 called in.
George "Animal" Slupski

Offline Animal

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 05:54:39 PM »

It was stated somewhere that 6.4 million viewers were tuning in.  Only 13 noticed it?  Come on George, basketball is easy to call and long drive is complicated.  Viewers just don't understand how it works.  In basketball all you have to do is throw it through the hoop.  If the net moves it is good for points.  In long drive they ACTUALLY measure things, so it can get interesting and alot of gray area on how it is measured.  Maybe they should use Trackman to measure it instead of people with measuring tapes.  You know, eliminate the human error. :o
    Viewers (golfers) don't understand longest drive wins?
George "Animal" Slupski

Offline NITROFORCE

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • no substitute for high performance training
    • thenitroswing.com
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 11:36:50 PM »
Viewers (golfers) don't understand longest drive wins?- Animal

Depends on when you are watching and if you are paying attention.  So, I would think they understand the longest wins but the live telecast does not convey this.  Especially if you don't watch the whole show and you catch a few minutes of it.
Of course I use PEDs (performance enhancing devices).  Why else would the ball go so far?  100% legal, positive results every test, no prescription, USGA legal.  Common side effects; lower handicap, admiration of golf buddies, shorter short-game, gratification of a lost ball. thenitroforce.com

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 07:42:15 AM »
The red line is two yards wide and moves around.  They need to tighten up on the tech behind it.  I've witnessed many six inch rules throughout the years.  You have to realize the original set-up of the grid is crucial.  If your a degree off from square during the set-up the variance on the grid can be substantial.  You can only get so accurate. 

Online The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 12:46:33 PM »
Yes it can, the LDE set up a grid at Denham Golf Club in London that at 300 yards laser measured 10 yards longer on the left line than the right ::)