Author Topic: OB Fest  (Read 838 times)

Online The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
OB Fest
« on: May 18, 2018, 01:27:54 AM »
As far as I can tell all moving from 6 to 8 balls has done is turn this sport into even more of an OB fest ::)
I'm an Aaaannniiiimmmaaaallll!

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Re: OB Fest
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 07:19:31 AM »
Paul Howell hit the ball beautifully.  But yes, way too many OB's.  Tons of OB's from guys who have been doing this a long time with great swings.  puzzling.

Online babrad06

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 10:31:30 AM »
Its pretty simple really. Now that we are hitting 8 balls hitters can swing as hard and wild as they want knowing they have more attempts than previously when we hit 6. With this comes a higher percentage of balls OB and a higher number of balls OB. If they want a higher percentage of balls in play they would give us less balls to hit not more.

I don't know if the data exists but it would be an interesting case study to compare % of balls OB when we hit 4, 6, and 8 balls. My guess would be back when they hit 4 balls, they hit a higher % in play.
Brad Skupaka, PGA

Online The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:29:27 PM »
Yes Paul Howell filling up the grid in his semi-final match was the highlight of the show on the mens side for me.

I would much rather see that than one long ball and 7 OBs.

That said congratulation to Will Hogue who really knows how to get it done under this format, you are right Brad no point trying to fill up the grid when you get 8 balls and are only going to count one!

Online The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 12:41:51 AM »
No need to start a new thread for Atlantic City, this title sums it up.

51 OBs in a row and people still wonder why long drive is not taking off as a spectator sport  ::)

Offline supajsn98

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 09:24:28 AM »
Poor choice of venue for a televised event to begin with, but agree... too many OB to be taken seriously by the viewers.

Facebook turned into a battle field of people talking trash and friends and family of competitors defending how difficult conditions were.

Jason

Online The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 11:43:11 AM »
Difficult conditions or not that's still a 45 yard wide soft grid and you only need 1 from 8.