Author Topic: Who plays of Scratch or Better? Maurice Allen and .....  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Animal

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Re: Who plays of Scratch or Better? Maurice Allen and .....
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 09:01:49 PM »
Mike, I enjoyed the banter back a forth with George.
 But forgot that no person saying anything positive about long drive or long drivers would not be attacked personally by you. You made a great product and I had a ton on success using it and will always be appreciate of that. But your need to attack seems endless.
As has happened to people before me, I will not be posting on this sight. I will leave it to long drive experts like yourself. Its no wonder there isnt much participation on this sight any more.
I'm not looking to argue, I was stating what I feel or believe. My argument/belief is this. I believe there are scratch players that currently or formerly compete in LD....Im not sure there are any if you take them of their home course or some random wide open course. The point I was making was if JB homes played 20 random courses last year and avg 74. That no LDer could be or shoot scores on those courses that u would say they are scratch. I assume JB is 4 shots better than any of us. "Maybe not" so that puts our best at 77 on those courses. Maybe course rating on those 20 courses avg 77 and I am wrong.....my intent was giving an opinion not arguing with Mike Gorton
George "Animal" Slupski

Offline Animal

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 09:28:53 PM »
   Also everytime I hear how good someone is. I FIND 77+81 missed cut scores like Tait pointed out and that was Joe Hajduch possibly the best playing LDer I have played with
George "Animal" Slupski

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 09:53:36 AM »
Jamie making the occasional Web.com Cut and breaking 75 every time he tees it up in a sponsors invite on the PGA tour is the best we have.  Jamie is probably a legit +2 or +3.  Tour players are +6 and better.  Those three shots per round are insurmountable.  It is similar to a guy that has 200 ball speed (which in the grand scheme of things is a huge number) and figures he can hang with 215+ ball speed guys.  200 ball speed guy catches a hop in the grid and hits it by an elite LDer and gains a bunch of false confidence, just like a +2 handicap golfer could beat Jordan Spieth on any given day.  That +2 golfer literally throws his most productive years of his life down the drain to chase a dream that will never come true.  There are a ton of delusional individuals like this in the South Florida area.  The worst thing that can happen to that guy is play out of his mind and shoot 66 in a minor league tour event and win 1200 bucks. 

There are several scratch golfers in LD.  I was a +2 at Bear Lakes Country Club in West Palm Beach for the six years I was a member there.  The course is fairly open and has a slope that I don't think it deserves.  Of course I'm always playing the tips because of my length and you get to the point where you can play the course in your sleep.  I have been slaughtered every time I try to take my game to tournament golf.  Broken 70 once in my life.  There are several LDers scratch or slightly better but that really isn't much of a benchmark.

Maurice Allen's handicap is probably an 8-10 or so.  Breaking 80 in any professional event would be an awfully tall order for him.  He is just nowhere even remotely in the ballpark of good enough to play golf professionally.  He claims to be a scratch golfer but he is probably a full 10 shots worse than that.  The part that best illuminates the absurdity that is Maurice Allen is that he claims on camera that putting is the best part of his game.  Well, he is top 10 in the world at driving distance so.................just cut it out.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:56:10 AM by TheDoctor »

Offline SMT

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »
Jamie making the occasional Web.com Cut and breaking 75 every time he tees it up in a sponsors invite on the PGA tour is the best we have.  Jamie is probably a legit +2 or +3.  Tour players are +6 and better.  Those three shots per round are insurmountable.  It is similar to a guy that has 200 ball speed (which in the grand scheme of things is a huge number) and figures he can hang with 215+ ball speed guys.  200 ball speed guy catches a hop in the grid and hits it by an elite LDer and gains a bunch of false confidence, just like a plus 2 handicap golfer could beat Jordan Spieth on any given day.  That +2 golfer literally throws his most productive years of his life down the drain to chase a dream that will never come true.  There are a ton of delusional individuals like this in the South Florida area.  The worst thing that can happen to that guy is play out of his mind and shoot 66 in a minor league tour event and win 1200 bucks. 

There are several scratch golfers in LD.  I was a +2 at Bear Lakes Country Club in West Palm Beach for the six years I was a member there.  The course is fairly open and has a slope that I don't think it deserves.  Of course I'm always playing the tips because of my length and you get to the point where you can play the course in your sleep.  I have been slaughtered every time I try to take my game to tournament golf.  Broken 70 once in my life.  There are several LDers scratch or slightly better but that really isn't much of a benchmark.

Maurice Allen's handicap is probably a 8-10 or so.  Breaking 80 in any professional event would be an awfully tall order for him.  He is just nowhere even remotely in the ballpark of good enough to play golf professionally.  He claims to be a scratch golfer but he is probably a full 10 shots worse than that.  The part that best illuminates the absurdity that is Maurice Allen is that he claims on camera that putting is the best part of his game.  Well, he is top 10 in the world at driving distance so.................just cut it out.

GREAT post!

Offline A-ROB

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • www.zellermotors.com
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 11:39:59 PM »
PGA is the best of the best! Are there plenty of players who were close to making it? Understatement? Ha
Golfers who know they are good, play good and have a chance? Don’t go do long drive! It’s that simple.

Yes there are some good golfers out there in ld. I doubt they would be doing ld if they played good and had a chance of making it! It’s once their chance of making it is over do they enter ld! Face it. Why would someone who was good enough mentally and physically to make the nationwide or Pga tour turn to ld? That’s right! They don’t!
Aaron Robbins

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 01:53:22 AM »
Everyone is talking about how a scratch handicap golfer wouldn't break 80 on a PGA Tour setup course, well let's not forget the advantages of playing such a course:
  • The Tour follows the sun so you are normally playing in great weather
  • The courses are in immaculate condition
  • You have the advantage of a caddie
  • You rarely have to suffer from a lost ball
  • Spectators trample down the rough and can stop your wayward shots
  • You get to warm up with Pro V1s
  • Tour vans are there to dial in your equipment
  • Greens are perfect and bunkers meticulously raked
The course may be lengthened but that is no concern to a scratch long driver and surprisingly there are many 8)

I've shot a level par round on The Plantation Course at Kapalua and I'm no scratch golfer!
I'm an Aaaannniiiimmmaaaallll!

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 07:58:40 AM »
A truly proven scratch golfer over a decent sample size of time and courses would live in the 75-82 range on tour.  Of course they would shoot a little lower a few times and a little higher a few times, but this is the range they would live in.  Far be it from me to say a legitimate scratch golfer wouldn't break 80 on tour because they would quite often.  By the end of the week they would get beat by 25 shots apples to apples.  The tournament winner would beat a scratch golfer by 35 or so.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 08:08:30 AM by TheDoctor »

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 01:10:53 PM »
It cracks me up that you have to have a handicap of scratch or better just to try and qualify for the Open Championship.

In July 1999 Paul Lawrie lifted the Claret Jug after shooting +6 at Carnoustie.

Now a member there with a 1 handicap is not even allowed to try and qualify for the Open Championship.

Playing to his handicap that member would have won the tournament and he has to post scores all year round not just in July, you try playing golf in Scotland in December!

Offline jfk

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 03:53:01 PM »
Says power...  “you try playing golf in December in Scotland”

Don’t... seriously don’t!  I have literally walked off after a few holes because I couldn’t feel my fingers!

Global warming?? Somebody is having a laugh, it hasn’t reached scotland yet, we miss out on everything!  burn the rain forest using fossil fuels I say!

..ok I’m half joking ;-)
Gun in my hand’. Bondesque. https://youtu.be/NdW5jIAuqEs
'Never dream of dying'  bond.  https://youtu.be/5y0Q8ZZWTVA

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 05:21:37 PM »
Look at Jordan Spieth on the 13th hole at Birkdale, he hit his tee ball so far right that if me & you are playing in a normal 4-ball we never would have found it. For us that's a lost ball and 3 from the tee all day long, even if we were lucky enough to find it we aren't getting the drop he got ;)

Offline jfk

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »
Bubba Watson hit a 62 when he was 12, favourable drops or not that’s pretty good!!! Lol,  :o
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:45:55 PM by jfk »

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2018, 07:15:26 PM »
Bubba Watson is one of us, he was signed up to hit at Mesquite one year 8)

Offline jfk

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 07:41:44 PM »
Yes but is he wearing a Rolex???    ;D ;D

Offline Animal

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 11:24:30 PM »
Bubba Watson is one of us, he was signed up to hit at Mesquite one year 8)
  I will let Tait handle this comment...LOL
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:41:17 AM by Animal »
George "Animal" Slupski

Offline Animal

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 09:43:44 AM »
      EVERYONE is welcome. It takes a guy like me to get this site rolling again
George "Animal" Slupski

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2018, 08:07:56 PM »
Yes well done Animal this site has been dead for ages.

The Bubba Watson story deserves telling, he entered the 2005 RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship only to withdraw when he got his PGA Tour Card.

So unlike most of us he never got a reality check on the "killing fields" of Mesquite and happily considered himself one of the longest hitters of a golf ball on the planet.

Bubba's epiphany came in 2011 at Kapalua when Jamie Sadlowski smoked him by 50 yards with a play driver 8) 

Offline Animal

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 09:11:40 PM »
Yes well done Animal this site has been dead for ages.

The Bubba Watson story deserves telling, he entered the 2005 RE/MAX World Long Drive Championship only to withdraw when he got his PGA Tour Card.

So unlike most of us he never got a reality check on the "killing fields" of Mesquite and happily considered himself one of the longest hitters of a golf ball on the planet.

Bubba's epiphany came in 2011 at Kapalua when Jamie Sadlowski smoked him by 50 yards with a play driver 8)
Never knew that
George "Animal" Slupski

Offline A-ROB

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • www.zellermotors.com
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 12:04:54 PM »
Speaking of animals. Tournament golf w money on the line is a different animal than just playing golf. I played in a few and almost always felt a //XXX// ton of pressure. Pressure I’ve never felt because of lack of experience. I’ve been under the lights in football and baseball winning Juco Baseball National Championship and winning the Big Stick Award. My school went to 3 straight 6A football state championship games. Only won my junior year. Lots of other big games in d1 baseball knocking off ranked teams. Never did I feel stressed because I was in my element. Take me out of my element and put money on the line? I was like a kindergartner. Ha. I didn’t start playing golf til I was 27. 2 years after starting ld in 05. Shot 130 or so my first time keeping score. After 1.5 years of practicing I was able to break par several times at different courses. Then I’d shoot 83 next time. Ha. Gotta love golf. Very humbling.

Yet I tried to play golf for money in real tournaments. I would play well until I start thinking about where I was on the leaderboard. Then proceeded to dribble down my leg! Ha   It is pressure I’ve never felt and my scores suffered drastically.

In dallas for the Texas shootout I played in the ld pro am at Tpc las Colinas back in 2010 and beat all lders including Jamie Sadlowski. Only pro that beat me was the only real golfing pro in the field. PGA tour player Greg Chalmers . The lefty Aussie who resided in dallas. Think I shot 73 from behind where the pros play at the Byron Nelson.  It was a long course from way way back. They gave us 2 off the tee so we could hit whatever shot we needed to score well. We had to keep our score and also played a scramble w 4 other team members at the same time. Then we’d grab driver and bomb one for the group because they paid a lot of money to art to play in this game. So we all played 2 balls off most tees. Unless we bombed one down the middle we’d play it and not hit another. It was a lot of fun. Can’t remember how much they paid us to play in it? But all the LD guys were paid to play in it

Needless to say if you aren’t a tour player playing for money on a regular basis? Good luck shooting low scores when money is on the line and the weight of your livelihood is on your shoulders. I’m sure some can pick it up right away. As I thought I could. However I couldn’t shoot scores in a tournament for money like I could just out playing a round of golf for my handicap.

Makes watching PGA more intriguing to me. So much pressure and guys handle it and triumph. I’m sure if I had more money to play in more tournaments? I may have done better but money ran out fast! Ha. Just didn’t have the early years of playing in tourneys to give me some experience and pressure. The pressure hit me like nothing I’ve felt and it beat me! I couldn’t turn off my brain and focus on each shot. Kept thinking ahead of myself. Which you cannot do in golf. One shot at a time! Oh well it was fun and I learned a lot. I learned that I’ll never be a great money tournament player! Without tons more experience.

So taking a money tournament score and comparing it to an everyday round score is not in the same ballpark. I could go shoot 88 for money and the next day go shoot 72. Go figure. Ha

So I could see Maurice and this other guy being effected by the pressure but 215 is pretty bad no matter how you slice it. Ha
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:08:37 AM by A-ROB »
Aaron Robbins

Offline SMT

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 01:56:40 PM »

So I could see Maurice and this other guy being effected by the pressure but 215 is pretty bad no matter how you slice it. Ha

"Pretty bad"?

That's like saying.... Bigfoot is "pretty" camera shy.

Offline A-ROB

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • www.zellermotors.com
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^ Bigfoot is camera shy?  ::) 8)
Aaron Robbins