Author Topic: Current World Rankings  (Read 1503 times)

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Current World Rankings
« on: July 28, 2017, 02:57:24 PM »
I looked at the current World Rankings, if a newbie finishes 3rd at this years World Long Drive Championship he still won't have enough points to compete in a US Tour Event, that is just plain wrong :P
I'm an Aaaannniiiimmmaaaallll!

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Re: Current World Rankings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 05:51:58 PM »
People don't care anymore I guess. 

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:10:11 PM »
1400 for the last chance qualifier.   Hahahahahaha.  How does this grow the sport? Can you imagine spending that to qualify?  Good thing the GC found allot of sponsors.  Seems like players are funding the sport another year.  Lol

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 07:22:41 AM »
Was just reading this, provides an interesting comparison, $1400 seems pretty disproportionate

PGA Tour

A PGA Tour player who’s exempt from qualifying doesn’t have to pay entry fees for tour events. He does pay a $100 initiation fee, then $100 in annual dues. The only expense he must pay to play in a tournament is a mandatory $50 locker room fee. Most professionals competing in a pre-tournament qualifying event pay entry fees of $400 apiece, except for Champions and Nationwide Tour players ($100 each) and non-exempt PGA Tour members (no entry fee). If a player who is not a member of the PGA qualifies for a PGA Tour event, he must pay what the tour terms "limited dues" of $50, but he pays no other entry fee.

LPGA Futures Tour

The LPGA Futures Tour -- a developmental circuit for the LPGA Tour -- charges all golfers a $500 entry fee for each tournament. To play in a qualifying tournament, Futures Tour members pay $200, amateurs invited by the tournament sponsor pay $230, and non-LPGA players pay $500.

Offline bigdhat

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 08:06:16 AM »
1400 for the last chance qualifier.   Hahahahahaha.  How does this grow the sport? Can you imagine spending that to qualify?  Good thing the GC found allot of sponsors.  Seems like players are funding the sport another year.  Lol
.     I don't think they care about growing the sport. All they need is a final 8 for tv

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 08:29:38 AM »
.     I don't think they care about growing the sport. All they need is a final 8 for tv

This has been the case pretty much always been the case, lets fact it LD is a business and those in control care about GROWING THE PROFIT  If this means more entries fine, if not also fine, their purpose is not to grow any sport, it is to grow the $.

Have you noticed that only competitors talk about Growing the sport and the reason is a bigger sport means MORE for competitors so competitors and owners have the same motivation (More money) but only the owners have any influence and for them more money does not mean more competitors. 

Should not be a surprise to anyone that the path of least resistance to a profitable package is taken.

The only time this sport will ever grow is when the person who has control, wants LD TO BE HUGE first, the profit will be inevitable later but i do not see a Golf Channel or ESPN or Remax doing this, any company like that wants to take it, brand it for their audience and turn a profit. 

One day LD will change (In my view) when someone whose focus is to make it massive first, builds something that can become massive, until then same old same old
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:23:51 AM by beasty »

cuba2254

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 07:45:01 PM »
How have the participation numbers been this year the local qualifiers?  Up? Down? Same as last year? 

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 06:44:30 AM »
How have the participation numbers been this year the local qualifiers?  Up? Down? Same as last year?

Comparing to last year?
Should be comparing to the best year which was c14,000 and there is obviously no way they are anywhere near that

Offline The_Power

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 04:29:40 AM »
Wow $1400 to enter a Last Chance Qualifier :o

This tells me that even under The Golf Channel this "sport" is still not much more than an expensive hobby :P
I'm an Aaaannniiiimmmaaaallll!

Offline jfk

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »
Like I said before, longdrive is a  'one card deck'  (worlds)  and the golf channel holds it.

I reckon theres a good case for making that card dwarf the rest of the deck,   ie,   expansion,  I think it would be good for longdrive,  however as beasty pointed out whether the channel sees how to,  or want to,  monetize that expansion is up for debate.
The dream shall never die’
(Having a dream, independence etc, pop rock.)

https://youtu.be/pHK7S3vYjtw

Offline TheDoctor

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 02:58:04 PM »
beasty...........if you lead your entire life comparing it to the best day you have ever had you probably would have OD'd on god knows what by now.  The year over year comparison is a valid question.....stop being a little child.

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 03:19:59 PM »
Doing well, doing well, doing well, doing better, doing //XXX//, doing less //XXX// than last year WOOHOOO SUCCESS