Author Topic: Question about local qualifying  (Read 2874 times)

Offline akincaid

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • Austin Kincaid
Question about local qualifying
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:24:21 AM »
If you pay online for two separate local sessions and make it through the first session, will you be refunded for the second session that you no longer need to hit in?

Also, for those of you that have been to a local, do they fill up quickly or is it pretty easy to register on-site and hit?

Offline Orion

• phpBB Frequent Poster
Re: Question about local qualifying
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 01:02:37 PM »
The haven't been refunding the extra local you paid for but I think they may be changing that; however, it is typically very easy to register on site as most people think just like you and only register for one local and then see how it goes as the qualifying progresses.  As it is now I would register for one in the early session and then register on site for the rest.
Tee it high then close the eyes!

Offline akincaid

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • Austin Kincaid
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 11:38:16 PM »
Thanks Ryan!

Offline toddo77

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • LDA/REMAX Local, District & World's & ILDC's (4x)
    • http://www.heroldsupply.com
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
Wow the participation and sign ups for local events is way down already since the start of the season---and its hurting potential LD down the road...   

from what's shown out of UTAH this past weekend they only had a TOTAL of 126 tries over two days (8 locals)
Day One----23, 17, 15 & 16----- (71)
Day Two----15,13,15 & 12-------(55)

sad to see this happening and grass route being killed as it is now accordingly.    GC had this seasons locals set up and structured to be done around hopefully filling all locals with (48 tries)---or 8 x 48 over two days (384 tries)

I know locals being reduced in number of locations and cost going up are two factors----what else is happening to make it so poorly attended ----is what needs to be seriously looked at...

Regards
Toddo

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 09:09:29 PM »
Cost and convenience are what is killing it.  If they hold locals where they have tour events then the GC needs to add a few qualifying spots into their tour events. If they don't what's the point. Use me as an example......  I'm not spending 1500-2k to try and qualify for the World Champs and then catch a flight back home. Give me a shot to qualify for the tour event and Worlds then maybe. I'm sure there are many like me but apparently only the people at the Summitt understand anything about long drive

Offline Orion

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 10:25:06 PM »
Just so the facts are accurately portrayed it should be noted that all but 6 of the locals were filled in Memphis and that was in the first local of the day. The field had to be reduced to 36 tries per local due to time constraints from cancelling all the hitting on Friday after the storm. Of the 288 possible tries 282 were filled which is a pretty solid turnout considering the situation.

With regards to this past weekend I would have to say that coming off of the holiday earlier in the week was a major factor as to the lower number of local qualifiers. I think we had more local people qualifying but very few from AZ, CA and NV. 

One thing I noticed was that some newcomers like Mark Costello and Kyle Berkshire have both done well and moved up the rankings in a very short time.  I think the competition is getting better and better which is great to see for the growth and development of the sport. Points are not given but earned and if you're good enough and are willing to put yourself out there to compete you can break into the top 50 or 32.  Gone are the days of just being able to cut a check and get in an event.

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 05:44:09 PM »
Ryan,

Obviously you are firmly latched onto the GC's teet right now and sucking them dry, but please stop spewing their milk out at us. I wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds me either but you really need to take a look at this as an outsider.

It makes zero sense to spend 1500-2K to come to a qualifier to try and qualify for Worlds. And we all know how difficult it is to qualify so many of the guys might need to do this 2-3X a year to get in.  That's a good chunk of change. If costs do not go down this will implode. More venues need to be added on the local level.

As for the tour events obviously you like it.........  There are Monday qualifiers for PGA Tour events. There should be some type of qualifier for a few spots into the tour event. This creates more participation and more people are willing to spend the money.

I am curious what the guys are thinking that haven't cashed in an event but are afraid of losing their ranking position so are being fleeced on a monthly basis

And finally your brand ambassador is Maurice Allen.......  Seriously!!! This is the same guys that shot 250 on a sponsors exemption and has a Guiness world record with a 9 iron or equivalent.

Offline Orion

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »
Allen,

Just trying to provide some information here so the truth is out for people to see. I can understand your perspective and I'm not arguing there shouldn't be more qualifying events, I wish there more. I think we'll get there in due time but you and most others on here only see things from your perspective. Perhaps you should consider others perspective as well, even that of GC. I don't think you will find a bigger long drive junkie than me and I want to see it succeed as much or more than anyone. I think things could be better for sure and one area is affordability but long drive at the highest level has never been very affordable in my experience. Maybe in the good old days it was but those days are gone now and we have to create a new future for long drive because the old way was dying.

PS - I love milk.

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 08:52:51 PM »
Ryan,

I don't get a perspective nor do any real veterans in this sport. We were put out to pasture while you guys decided on what benefited yourself the most. I have no clue what the GC's perspective is except to wallet flush everyone

Obviously there need to be more locals. At least we can agree on that. I can't imagine being a newbie and interested in trying it out and learning it will cost me 1500 to travel to a local! Awesome!!!

Because the tour events are expensive and based on a rankings system many of the top tier guys cannot afford to hit. They in turn lose their spot in the rankings leaving the field weaker and weaker. As this plays out you will see waning interest in your tour events if there hasn't been already.

I wish you guys nothing but the best and P.S- keep swallowing that milk

thedanman40

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 04:05:37 PM »
Just some info:

I went to Rockwell signed up for Friday local, ended up qualifying for worlds on Thursday. No refund for the sign up on Friday. Obviously didn't need to hit. The entire trip from central California to qualify was about $800.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:07:21 PM by thedanman40 »

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 05:00:20 PM »
That's a bargain.  Was in CA this weekend hanging on beach with family. It was either that or go to a local.  I'm surprised new guys aren't lined up to try for $800.  That's only a couple weeks of work for your average worker.

Offline Orion

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 04:35:17 PM »
Allen,

I drove from Salt Lake to Albuquerque for my first local and then had to drive a second time to Denver where I didn't qualify.  Then I flew to Dallas for a local the day before the regional and got in for the regional.  I didn't end up qualifying then either so I did the last chance in Mesquite which was $300 each day and didn't make it.  There is a lot of travel, time and expense in the old way of doing it.  They way they do it now is better, in my opinion, they just need more tour events to host more local and regional events with.  You can go to one event and have two different days to try and qualify and if you can get into the tour event you have a third.  I'm not saying it's perfect just better than it was and the costs aren't much different other than $40 more for the regional event.

I know you think the interest in the tour events is going down or will be going down but you're dead wrong.  Most of these tour events will fill up in the first day or two which beats calling and texting and convincing guys to come out to play in an event the months leading up to it which is how it used to be, trust me I know I did it that way for 5 years.  Here is my prediction for you: The money in the purses will increase, more events will be televised, the sport will get more exposure and it will continue to improve from where it's at now, the competition will get better and it will he much harder for people to get in to tour events because of the demand.

Just for fun set a reminder in your calendar for next year and we'll see if I'm right.

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 05:34:39 PM »
So a new person in the USA?

What options do they have?

Where?

What cost?

It all seems very limiting, fine if you have tried before or are already hooked, but the numbers all seem minuscule 282 entries that is not success, my golf club has 282 entries at the weekend competition, they have dozens of competitions in they year and there are 10,000s of clubs doing the same.

282 IS A TINY NUMBER OF PEOPLE for a WORLD championship ANYTHING

How does long driver get to 10,000, 14,000 (I believe the peak) and then many more thousands of people having a go?

The Tour and Points set up, especially with a European guy beating 3 of 4 of the top hitters in the World and getting zip, cannot possibly be a good way to grow.

Saying that, I think LD is destined to be tiny until an organisation makes it low cost and locally available, until there is an effort to do that, LD is going nowhere

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
Its great for about 50 people. Outside of that I'm not sure who they are selling to. I hope I'm wrong and its a smashing success but the top 50 in the rankings are not the longest hitters in the world. Some are, but others have no way to compete which is a sad state of affairs.

I wonder how many hits in locals are from those top 50 in the rankings that are there for the tour event? If it's not many then interest is growing. If most of the hitting is from the top 50 at locals then interest is waning considerably.

There is no avenue to compete outside the top 50 except to spend a ridiculous amount of money.....

Ryan..... Do you work for the Golf Channel? You remind me of a walking commercial

Offline Orion

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »
No Allen I don't work for Golf Channel but I believe in what they are doing so I am supportive.  We don't see eye to eye on everything but for the vast majority of it I would have to agree with what they are doing and I am greatly appreciative of their involvement.

There are several examples of guys that are new and have broken in to competing, it's not impossible but it's not easy either which is how it should be in my opinion.  You do have to actually go and compete and do well to advance which makes sense to me.  I know it's not the same as it used to be but that way of doing long drive is gone.  I do think we will see more events but not the high number of locals that was occurring like when it was the LDA under Art.

Beasty, they just need to come out to the local qualifying which is almost over for the year but occurs at each tour event the two days preceding.  The schedule is found at worldlongdrive.com.  $40 per try and if you make the regional you comeback later that day for it.  If you don't qualify the first day you can come out and try it the second as well.

With regards to the opportunities to obtain points it is obvious there needs to be a way to expand and award points for a larger geographical area which would include Europe especially.  I know they have expressed interest and they are looking for event hosts in Europe.  I don't think there is any intention to keep anyone out; however, it is difficult to expand completely worldwide in such a short time.

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »
Ryan,

Like I said in previous posts I hope it all works out. There are some flaws I see which could be rectified to increase participation. You can't rely on the same 50-100 guys to fill the GC coffers each year. Participation must increase:

1.) As I agree that a local and regional together is convenient it does not promote new interest in the sport. It would be easy for the GC to pair up with local courses and have small local competitions earning their way into regionals. These don't need to be large grid setups etc... All they need to do is fan the flame and garner some interest. Imagine winning your local clubs LD comp and gaining entry into the WLDC regional. Think guys might spend the money to come? Yes!!! This is where I believe the LDA made a substantial mistake. The locals comps were exactly the same as regionals and Worlds which were expensive to produce. They don't need to be. They just need to be something small to produce interest all over the country, world etc......

2.) Until this really does encompass the globe this should be the US Long Drive Championships then when the GC is ready to rollout worldwide make it the WLDC. Could be a US type of long drive champs in every country then mass appeal for the WLDC

3.) Lastly open up a few spots into the tour events for guys traveling all the way to local, regional style events together. Again this will increase participation. This is something that should have already happened. If a guys wins regional before your tour event give him a spot in the event. My God...... The guy just spent a mint to be there. Seems so obvious......

As always good luck. You are way too positive for me. Almost disgustingly positive really ;D I'm not sure if its a Stuart Smalley thing or what but congrats on the good year

Offline Orion

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »
Allen,

I agree with what your saying, more locals that are widespread throughout various areas for grassroots introduction to the sport.  I'm fine with it being called the world championship because it's open to everyone but I think it definitely needs more international participation. I like the idea of opening a couple of spots in your events for regional qualifying. That's a little tougher to do logistically until demand is greater in my opinion but I think it would be beneficial. I also want to see the field expand to 48 guys but I don't know if we're ready for that. I would say that when purses increase it will solve a lot of participation problems because money will bring people out.

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 05:00:53 AM »
Allen,

I agree with what your saying, more locals that are widespread throughout various areas for grassroots introduction to the sport.  I'm fine with it being called the world championship because it's open to everyone but I think it definitely needs more international participation. I like the idea of opening a couple of spots in your events for regional qualifying. That's a little tougher to do logistically until demand is greater in my opinion but I think it would be beneficial. I also want to see the field expand to 48 guys but I don't know if we're ready for that. I would say that when purses increase it will solve a lot of participation problems because money will bring people out.

Most people take part in sports because they are fun