Author Topic: money in sport comparisons  (Read 1654 times)

Offline jfk

• phpBB Frequent Poster
money in sport comparisons
« on: May 06, 2017, 09:07:55 AM »

Had a quik look at money in sport

team sports do well because of the tribal nature obviously, players ranked 300 to 400th say in the 3 top american team sports can earn around $500,000, from what I can see.

100th ranked golfer can make around $1 million.

tennis, win Wimbledon and you'll get around $2 million, however the 200th ranked player will struggle to break even apparently,  thats strange.

Archery is the closest to longdrive I could find, heats in different countries then '8 of the best' take part in the world cup, tv etc, sound familiar?   anyways in 2013 the winner got 20,000 swiss francs, similar value to dollars,
so longdrive is doing badly or doing great, depends how you look at it.

personally I think the golf channel involvement is a good thing, the product will improve and so will the money as time goes on, I have a hunch they will be working out ways to make sure guys with nice swings and the ability to fill the grid as well as great distance will be the norm and not the exception.

....oh and they wont be put off by bad boys or controversy, that //XXX// sells, it is an extreme sport after all.

keep them long

JFK
The dream shall never die’
(Having a dream, independence etc, pop rock.)

https://youtu.be/pHK7S3vYjtw

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
Re: money in sport comparisons
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 09:25:10 AM »
So one player ranked 300 or worse still earns the same as the entire sport of longdrive, including all event purses worldwide

Runner up at one Tennis tournament gets more than the entire sport

Sport of longdrive totals around 1 to 2% of heavyweight boxing purse for one title fight.

Hard to call it at pro sport when you consider it that way, more like a club with some betting and cash sometimes, its all a bit tiny really.

Offline Allen

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 01:25:30 PM »
JFK,   You brought up a great term. "Team". It is curious that club companies don't pair with GC and have LD championships like Team Callaway vs Team Taylor Made or Team Coke vs Pepsi etc.... seems like this would be where the money is since big corporations would now have a stake. JMO but the individual is why this sport struggles. No entertainment value and no fan recognition.

802SnowyOwl

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 01:00:09 PM »
Hard to call it at pro sport when you consider it that way, more like a club with some betting and cash sometimes, its all a bit tiny really.

That's how I've always seen it.  But then again I consider golf to be a game like Billiards, and Darts, not a sport like Hockey or Baseball.  Imho

Offline NITROFORCE

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • no substitute for high performance training
    • thenitroswing.com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 09:51:49 PM »
When the best in golf,(PGA, Euro Tour, LPGA, etc) are getting beat by a sub-set of sport athletes by a wide margin in something that is valuable (distance/greens in reg) you will find this type of situation.  Think about it, the best in golf get crushed by hacks like me.  The OEMs will never pour money into the sub-category, they never do.  The sport of long drive will never expand and grow until a product spawned from it is overwhelmingly used by us and adopted by the golf industry to be a benefit the top golfers.
Until then we will be a side show at the carnival.  We all have value, it just has not been monetized.
fc
Of course I use PEDs (performance enhancing devices).  Why else would the ball go so far?  100% legal, positive results every test, no prescription, USGA legal.  Common side effects; lower handicap, admiration of golf buddies, shorter short-game, gratification of a lost ball. thenitroforce.com

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 03:04:03 AM »
Might it be time, after 40 years of not much progress, to end the sentence at

The sport of Longdrive will not grow.

This thread has given great perspective, longdrive is like long cast fishing, sure its impressive to some and even then only once, but the wider public simply does not care, if this were not the case there would be year on year growth and certainly 40 plus years down the road you could say LD is in better shape now than it was then, i am not sure you can

802SnowyOwl

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love this sport (long drive) and am personally more interested in the long drive world championship more then regular golf, but it a fringe sport like home run, or slapshot compatitions, very impressive but can't​ win you a tournament on its own.
BTW has registration been fixed for this forum? Yesterday there were 14 users and 356 guests viewing this site.   Since this is the best place to find used LD gear, I'm sure it would help to have more registered users getting in.

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 02:21:42 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love this sport (long drive) and am personally more interested in the long drive world championship more then regular golf, but it a fringe sport like home run, or slapshot compatitions, very impressive but can't​ win you a tournament on its own.
BTW has registration been fixed for this forum? Yesterday there were 14 users and 356 guests viewing this site.   Since this is the best place to find used LD gear, I'm sure it would help to have more registered users getting in.

Guests are not usually people, they are bots

Online toddo77

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • LDA/REMAX Local, District & World's & ILDC's (4x)
    • http://www.heroldsupply.com
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 02:49:42 PM »
Guests are not usually people, they are bots----says BEASTY

and yet another INCEPTA ASSUMPTION...

Well its for sure ---They are not members...!!! 

Why is it so difficult to get new members signed up ROACH---please get this situation cleaned up ASAP for all...

TH

Offline jfk

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 05:47:31 PM »

News flash

Longdrive is a   'one card deck'

the golf channel has it

best just build a good relationship them and see how you can move forward together creating a better product.

JFK
The dream shall never die’
(Having a dream, independence etc, pop rock.)

https://youtu.be/pHK7S3vYjtw

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 06:08:58 PM »
Guests are not usually people, they are bots----says BEASTY

and yet another INCEPTA ASSUMPTION...

Well its for sure ---They are not members...!!! 

Why is it so difficult to get new members signed up ROACH---please get this situation cleaned up ASAP for all...

TH

Let me rephrase, guests are nearly always bots