Author Topic: Time for a change of standards?  (Read 2016 times)

Offline AP

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • Andreas Persson
Time for a change of standards?
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:43:09 AM »
It seems like most LDers agree that having all equipment be the same as R&a or USGA is a good thing, why not change it to 48" USGA? It would only mean cutting 1/2" for most clubs. Many already use shorter anyway. Only issue would be giving up that 1/2" to LDers at worlds but not sure it would matter. It would help when talking to non-LDers.

What do you say? Time to change? I´m all for it. Let us hear any pros and cons.

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • BA BA BOOEY
Re: Time for a change of standards?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:36:18 AM »
CONS .. NONE (Serious, cannot think of one)

Just introduce it to events,  Remax is already a circus so let the LDA be the only ones saying its ok to use illegal clubs

Offline thebolt

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 10:08:54 AM »
Agreed!
Eat yellow snow, it might be beer.

Offline marcalex

• phpBB Lurker / Newbie
  • Marc AUTRET
    • Rules of Long Drive
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 05:43:57 PM »

Offline 25critter

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 07:43:23 PM »
Good idea

But have you ever used a USGA machine to measure clubs. 124 players times average 10 clubs per person. That may take a while. Maybe make it 49.5 LDA if you want it to confirm to USGA:)

Jeff

Offline AP

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • Andreas Persson
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 02:49:25 PM »
Good idea

But have you ever used a USGA machine to measure clubs. 124 players times average 10 clubs per person. That may take a while. Maybe make it 49.5 LDA if you want it to confirm to USGA:)

Jeff
Sorry, didnt see til now. Just do what Ryan Reisbeck suggested. Measure the longest one, if thats ok the rest are too

Woodford

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 11:05:19 AM »
Although several  years ago I resolved not to again post here the issue raised in this thread is so major that not to contribute might be deemed churlish. Sometimes one has to ‘bite the bullet’ for the good of the sport in general.

So I borrow another's account as I appear to be unable to re-register under my own name.

Whilst I agree that a periodic re-think of any sport  has to be healthy I do not personally regard the fine tuning of club length as a major issue. But everyone to their own opinion.

What concerns me more is that the sport offers equal rights for all competitors and is seen to be clean. Whilst there are other minor issues which concern me eg. the distracting playing of loud background noises at events I do not wish to distract attention  from the following two fundamental issues:

EQUAL RIGHTS:

One has to accept that competitors in the older age divisions may never generate the interest and respect of open division players, nevertheless why limit the number of entrants to a number less than afforded to open division players?  Such is discrimination and sometimes makes for an unattractive challenge. For example a continental championship where the over-50s entrants are limited to eight competitors.

Can one really consider oneself to be a continental champion after beating only seven other players? Surely a stretch of the imagination for anyone.  If older competitors are not welcome then it’s possibly better to say so rather than simply offer a token competition.

A PATENTLY TRANSPARENT SPORT:

It is extremely rare to hold a longdrive championship where each ball is tv monitored. As things stand at the moment in most cases one is reliant on both grid workers, other officials, and the announcer. Even with the best will in the world mistakes creep in, particularly where multiple players are concurrently hitting, and even more so when grid workers have to scramble around only after all six balls have been completed.

Only by restricting play to one player at a time; calling each approximate distance ball by ball (but not delaying play); and having players’ representatives (appointed by the players themselves) on the grid will accuracy and transparency ever come good. And the sport of longdrive be as open and - so far as is possible - beyond question as in other sports.

I am not suggesting deliberate dishonesty within the sport, only lack of transparency and self-auditing. In one major event even the right of appeal has been barred.

Not enough hours in the day in order to implement these suggestions? I do not accept that (events usually start late and finish early) but if it were true then is our sport, based on such a foundation,  really worth anything or remotely entertaining?
I have said my piece and will not argue these points with the beer, beef, and bravado brigade and again quietly and humbly disappear into the rough.

Sincerely,
Ivan Sanders   
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:08:46 AM by Woodford »

ukrainien

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »
Colonel Sanders, its the lack of older particpants in Europe in general thats the reason for the poor turn outs in those divisions. Simple

Geekoman

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 04:52:21 PM »

Ivan...there will NEVER be a mistake if colored balls are used.  How can anyone F that up.  "The 'red' one is at 394 yards."  With the same colored balls (i.e. white...even with a # on the ball)...most probably a pretty good chance of a screw up sometime during the event.

I just don't understanmd why that has never been adopted.....Anywhere!

Offline AP

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • Andreas Persson
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 05:32:06 PM »

Ivan...there will NEVER be a mistake if colored balls are used.  How can anyone F that up.  "The 'red' one is at 394 yards."  With the same colored balls (i.e. white...even with a # on the ball)...most probably a pretty good chance of a screw up sometime during the event.

I just don't understanmd why that has never been adopted.....Anywhere!

Actually, we have since 2011 ;)
Its white balls with VERY large blue or red dots. As we do matchplay its very easy and as you say, impossible to miss.

Online toddo77

• phpBB Frequent Poster
  • LDA/REMAX Local, District & World's & ILDC's (4x)
    • http://www.heroldsupply.com
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 07:14:52 PM »
As do the South African events held by Quantum Driving.  Last # of years they have used various colours from Srixons golf ball lineup.

Toddo