Author Topic: LDA HALL OF FAME  (Read 4946 times)

Point286

LDA HALL OF FAME
« on: August 14, 2010, 11:44:02 AM »

So who in here thinks that qualifying 15 times for the world finals should be a ticket into the hall of fame?

I think guys like Marty Joyce, Joe Hajduch, George Slupski, Vince Ciurluini, Mike Moulton, Bill Droege and many others should be up at least on a ballot or something like that. I dont think that a championship should be the only way to get into the HOF. Many people that havent made it 5 times to the finals are true ambassadors to the sport of LD. I think the criteria should be a little more lenient but still be an accomplishment like standing on the championship tee 15 times.

Magan

rdwinther

Re: LDA HALL OF FAME
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 12:33:58 PM »
The next hall of fame will be Vince Howell.  One of the best off all time and a man who help make the sport what it is today

Geekoman

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 01:15:49 PM »
Very good point, Steve!  I agree 100%.  It's not always about Winning when it comes to things of which you speak!  You must look at the entire career and what they have done in the sport and for the sport.

Sometimes...just sometimes....Winning isn't everything and it sure as Hell isn't the only thing!!

Geeko

bradfromearth

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 10:31:15 PM »
Heck I think if you qualify that many times you should get a lifetime exemtion to the big show.

the oracle

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 10:35:44 PM »
I did not have a championship when I was inducted. Therefore that is not the only criteria.

Point286

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »
Oracle, 25 top 5s in 25 years is an automatic in anyones book.

The Sport

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »
15 times at the finals a massive achievement. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility though for a competitor to make the finals 15 straight years and have a combined total earnings of $0 so is it feasible to induct someone to the hall of fame with career earnings of $0 but 15 wldc appearances? Magan makes a very good point though. 

hurricanegolfguy

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:08:49 PM »
It's like being the skinny guy at the hot dog eating championship.  You're there but you don't have a prayer.  Win something if you want to be recognisied as a HOF person.

greekgorilla

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 06:39:36 PM »
Steve,makes a good point, but I would say anyone that gets a chance to go in to the HOF should have been in the finals a least five times or more, and should have won it a time or two. Bobby said it also the right way, he had not won, but was always in the hunt and always in the finals with the threat to win. You can name anyone you want in this game and 99% would not want to hit against Bobby in a final. He always comes with his game face on and the will to win.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:25:09 PM by greekgorilla »

koolaid

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 09:07:54 AM »
Awe, Bobby ain't all that. I am 1 and 0 against him standing on a final tee!! (not that he'll even remember,lol)

:D

Never mind that I was an open hitter and he was competing as a senior in the open division. Let's ignore that.

Bobby talks the best smack of anyone! Your standing there about to hit for the cash and he is loose as a goose and giving it to ya! It actually had a tremendous calming effect on me! I think Bobby is a tremendous guy and top 3-of all time! He's actually a better man than he is a LD'er!!

Vince Howell is another guy that should get in. I have always said it, if I was in charge of the LDA, Vinny would have been my spokes person. He is class personified and an absolute beast of a competitor.

Magan makes a great point, I am very familiar with Slupski's story having been a friend of his for years. The guy has to be mentioned in the category of "best longdriver to have never won a world final." He definitely deserves to be in.

I would also add guys like Gary Ramirez for what he has done for the sport. He has run an event for 18-years and he has gotten dozens of guys started in this sport! This year alone at Metter there were 4-guys at his event that he got started in LD that had competed at the world finals. I think he deserves at least a nomination. Heck, Bart Hartsell might be another name to add to that list for all he has done!

Good post Magan!

Lance Guest

Offline gringo

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
Well said OOP.

Offline Simons_Dad

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »
I have mentioned a few times that, similar to many other sports, the LDA should consider having a "Lifetime Achievement Award" for those people that have done so much for the sport but have not won a world title.  Immediately after mentioning this, I recommend Obie Anderson be the first recipient of the award.

DG in AZ
Dave G
Nine time loser in Mesquite and I was hitting it good then.

Point286

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 12:19:05 PM »
It's like being the skinny guy at the hot dog eating championship.  You're there but you don't have a prayer.  Win something if you want to be recognisied as a HOF person. "

kobayashi..former hot dog eating "champ" and holder of several world records

Height 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)
Weight 128 lb (58 kg)-192 lb (87 kg)

Yeah.....its nothing like being the skinny guy at the hot dog eating championship...LOLOLOLOLOL

Such brilliance in some of your posts. At least know WTF youre talking about when using an anaolgy like that! The smarter thing wouldve been to say ITS LIKE BEING THE FAT GUY AT THE HOT DOG EATING CHAMPIONSHIP!!

Get back to work IDIOT,

MAGAN

greekgorilla

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 10:08:20 AM »
Since where throwing in names, In NorCal only TWO come to mind that should be given this honor. Both would be a great choice. Obie Anderson and Tom Krajl, Obie for his countless at temps at seeking first place in many divisions, going to the finals many times and facing some of the best in the world. T.K. for being in the top 8 and in the TV rounds at least two or more times with a 4Th place in his best attemp.  Again unless you have been in the finals I think you should not be a candidate of the HOF.  
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:29:25 PM by greekgorilla »

bradfromearth

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 03:07:43 PM »
It's like being the skinny guy at the hot dog eating championship.  You're there but you don't have a prayer.  Win something if you want to be recognisied as a HOF person.

Here is your skinny hot dog eating champ.. all 5'8 and  165 punds of him..

http://takeru-kobayashi.com/biography.html

Offline Animal

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 07:26:32 AM »
      LOL.....I love going back and looking at the old posts. This one is about making Worlds 15X with no World titles, should you be considered for HOF. I'm at 25 finals and 2 World titles and not in. SO NO 15X AND NO TITLES....LOLOLOL.. :P :P :P...Love these old posts. Unfortunately the BALL HAS BEEN dropped on the HOF.  The good days of longdrive are over. Sad to never see Dick Rodgers or Gary Ramirez get lifetime achievement awards, those 2 were overlooked years ago. These 2 should have been in 15 years ago. And I'm sure I'm missing someone else. Almo and Tait should have gotten it along with Reader from what they donated over the years from the manufacturing end of things
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 07:44:39 AM by Animal »
George "Animal" Slupski

Offline Marylander

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »
I never had the chance to meet Gary, but 100% agree about Dick Rodgers. 
John Foelber

Offline beasty

• phpBB Frequent Poster
    • VIDEO GUIDE TO FUCKING
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 04:49:52 PM »
If this site is a barometer for whether longdrive is growing or not, well, this site is about as lively as  Tiger Hater right now
WIN A HOUSE IN ITALY  https://anyexpat.com/win-a-house-in-italy/ 1 hour from Best Golf Course in Italy (7000 tickets / 50 usd / all taxes paid)

Offline rmeikle

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 05:58:10 PM »
If this site is a barometer for whether longdrive is growing or not, well, this site is about as lively as  Tiger Hater right now

This was said as a tour event was televised live around the world, as people hit for a $75000 purse on a mainstream cable channel. People are fighting to get into tour events (even though they have expanded the field), tons of new faces at local events, much broader name recognition across top longdrivers, etc., etc., etc.

WTF else do you want!

NoBoDy PoStS oN InCePtA AnYmOrE sO LoNgDrIvE MuSt bE DeAd!!!

Offline Part Time

• phpBB Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 06:57:20 PM »
I see some signs that the sport isn't as stable as most would like to think. A few things have happened this year that  I have noticed. Similar to what has happened before.

Gary Ramirez